The DuraHeart LVAS is engineered to dramatically decrease the risk of cell damage and its related complications.
The system’s blood-friendly features are designed to:
REDUCE HEMOLYSIS AND THROMBUS FORMATION
- Actively controlled, magnetically levitated impeller helps minimize turbulence by promoting gentle and consistent flow patterns
- Unmatched wide, stable spacing between the impeller and chamber wall helps minimize pump-induced hemolysis by providing ample room for smooth, unimpeded flow and proper washout
- Consistent primary and secondary flow patterns help improve washout and reduce the potential for stasis, turbulence and, ultimately, pump thrombus
SIMPLIFY SURGERY AND CLINICAL FOLLOW-UP
- Angled inflow conduits in 3 sizes allow for optimal pump positioning
- No pre-clotting or coating required of the Vascutek Gelweave™ Outflow Graft
- Disk-shaped pump provides better anatomic fit
- Accurate flow measurements without the need for flow sensors
RESPOND TO EXERCISE
- Sensitivity to patient heart rate, preload and after load provides immediate physiologic-responsive flow
- Low shut-off pressure minimizes risk of ventricular suction
- No ventricular suction events1
IMPROVE SAFETY, RELIABILITY, DURABILITY
- Magnetically levitated impeller completely eliminates need for a mechanical bearing in the blood chamber
- Zero-contact impeller operation eliminates friction, minimizing heat production that can contribute to thrombus formation
- Failsafe hydrodynamic support system provides peace of mind as a back-up to magnetic levitation
1Morshuis M, El-Banayosy A, Arusoglu L, et al. European experience of DuraHeart™ magnetically levitated centrifugal left ventricular assist system. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. 2009;35:1020-1028.
2Based on clinical experience to date
3EU Clinical Outcomes as of July 31, 2009.